Friday, February 17, 2006

Dream on

About two years ago I set a personal goal of trying to lap Sepang in 2'40" on stock turbo, stock cams and stock suspension. Various reactions included sarcasm and even outright ridicule. "Don't believe in anyone without a transponder". Those words, relayed to me by a close friend, continue to ring in my ears. My initial reaction was of anger, but upon further reflection it only strengthened my resolve. Deep in my heart I knew it could be done despite what others may think.

And so with each passing trackday, the objective crept closer. Slowly but inexorably, it would come within striking distance. It was finally achieved in October, however it was only until a few weeks ago that transponders were used to keep an official record of time, leaving no doubt as to what has been accomplished.

I have never laid claim to being the best or the fastest, that would be hubris. But I do believe that should someone put in his best efforts in an endeavor, sometimes miracles happen. Prejudices are swept aside. The impossible becomes possible.

I wish to pay homage and express my appreciation to everyone who allowed me to share my dream with them. Without their encouragement, support, and insight, failure would have been all but certain. Every constructive comment, every sympathetic ear, made a difference. You know who you are. Thank you.

1 comment:

zeenie said...

Well done dude. You rawk! On to 2:36!