Thursday, September 27, 2007

Tales of integrity (or lack thereof)

Mud-slinging and FUD has always been part of the aftermarket performance industry. Lately I've been hearing about how someone is passing off open source software as proprietary software. As an outsider to this situation, no clear conclusions can be drawn as I've also had disputes before; it's all part of the game.

Several years ago, I had the "pleasure" of having a so-called "friend" buy an aftermarket ECU from me at cost price, inclusive of the tuning etc. He was very pleased with the results and didn't seem to be dissatisfied at all, despite the typical teething problems with having a custom calibration done from scratch. When everything was completed he claimed that his finances were in disarray and so gave me a post-dated cheque of 1 month.

Within the week I started hearing rumors passed behind my back about my "poor job" done on the car; upon receiving this info I contacted him to enquire about his car, even going so far as to refund the cheque if he's not happy with things. He insisted that everything was OK but the rumors continued to persist. In the meantime I began to collate information about what he was saying behind my back, with SMS and MSN logs as proof. As this is going on remember I could not cash in the cheque!

Even after cashing in the cheque, the offer to refund the sum still stood, yet this person declined to come and meet me like a man, preferring to cast aspersions from behind a veil of deceit. It's unbelievable that this is how a so-called devout Christian behaves.

It's OK though. I rest easy at night because my conscience is clear. On the other hand, he has reason to fear, since I know where he lives. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"It wasn't me"
- Shaggy

*heh*