Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My old man

My dad is the archetypal 老福健 (Lao Fu Jian); someone who looks down on Japanese cars, thinking they're trash. The only worthy rides are "Continental" makes, preferably a huge ass Mercedes Benz. The funny thing is that whenever I'm home he'd come up with all sorts of excuses to take my car out. I guess that's one Japanese car he doesn't mind driving hehehe :p

No surprises where my car is now that there's a rumor of an island-wide 40% petrol discount in celebration of our nation's 40th year of independence.

So if you see my car darting in and out of traffic and generally pissing the hell out of people, it could very well be my father at the wheel. He may be old school but the feelings of pure joy when in complete control of a vehicle are universal. After all, he used to drive a succession of Alfa Romeos to work in Malaysia every day, for at least 15 years, way before the North South highway was built. I recall him driving us up to Terengganu and back, in 1 day. That's an estimated 1000+ km roundtrip journey.

I also have recollections of him overtaking up to 20 vehicles at a time, upslope, around a blind bend.

That's how I learned to count.

So to all the OG*-wannabes... suck it. :)

*Orchard Gudang, a play of words of Orchard Road and Pasir Gudang (a poorly maintained road course in Johor, Malaysia). On the eve of major holidays such as National Day and the New Year, groups of car owners in their underpowered and ricey rides will provoke one another into racing illegally on the streets of Orchard Road and other areas of high human/tourist traffic.

1 comment:

-ben said...

>I recall him driving us up to Terengganu and back, in 1 day. That's an estimated 1000+ km roundtrip journey.

OMG, on Malaysian roads too!
*respect*
*respect*

Next question: how much did he pay out in bribes to the traffic police for the bogus speeding tickets? *grin*

>I also have recollections of him overtaking up to 20 vehicles at a time, upslope, around a blind bend.

OMG x2! My dad used to do that too! My mom would be freaking out, her clenched knuckles turning white in sync with her face, and I would be in mute terror looking at the giant lorry approaching us in the distance growing larger and larger and larger...

Man, they don't make men like they used to anymore, eh? (Present company excluded, of course ;-P )